Sunday 15 February 2009

Flat Stanley has come to visit with me while I'm on assignment here in England!  I took him with me while I went on business trips and on exploration trips.




Here's Stanley sitting on the fence outside of the town hall of Barrow-in-Furness.
What material was made in Barrow-in-Furness, so much of it that they made more of it than anyone else in the world?

















Stanley enjoyed going with me to Rolls-Royce in Derby.  Who was Rolls?  Who was Royce?  One had the genius, one had the capital.  What is a common name for capital?
What did Rolls-Royce make that was so important to England's Freedom in the 1940's? 
Hint; it had the same name as King Arthur's wizard.  What were these things used in?  Hint; they flew!











Stanley enjoyed visiting Brougham Castle.  It is on England's route A66, which follows the path of an old Roman Road.   Right in front of the castle (not in this view) are the remains of an old Roman fort.








I had to call Stanley down from climbing the walls at Penrith Castle.  It was just one big jungle gym to him.
Why are so many of England's Castles in ruins? What is a ruin?
Who was Oliver Cromwell?
What is a civil war?








Stanley was amazed by Castlerigg Stone Circle.  This Circle of Stones is high in the hills, just outside of Keswick (pronounced KES-IC).  The taller hills (called Fells) were brilliant, with their tops covered in snow.  These stones were placed over 4000 years ago.
Who were the Picts?  Who were the Celts?   

Stanley is going to leave England in a few days and move on to Geneva.  Where's that?  Bye Stanley!  It was smashing!


2 comments:

Christine said...

Hey there UFA!! :o) My mom sent me the link to your blog here. Looks like Stanly had a super time with you in England. Thank you so much for doing this. You're the BEST! Alex is so excited that his Flat Stanley is visiting all of these distant countries. Off to show Alex where Geneva is on the map. Looking forward to seeing you in April. Love, your NFA, Christine

Melons said...

Eric I love this, it's fantastic! Flat Stanley's adventures have been keeping me and my daughter entertained. Keep up the touristing!
Helen